[linux-audio-dev] good cards/chipsets for full-duplex/low-latency audio

Anthony avan at uwm.edu
Tue Oct 22 18:08:01 UTC 2002

* Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi> [Oct 22 02 16:45]:
> Btw; this a very interesting topic. Please, tell about your
>      experiences. By discussing these things in a public forum,
>      we are actually creating a nice searchable knowledgebase
>      for all current and future ALSA users!
>
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Anthony wrote:
>
> >> - snd-intel8x0 (nice chipset, is suitable for low-latency use)
> > Actually, I've had terrible results with this. It could be due to the
> > fact that it got pushed to a higher IRQ by my other card, however.
>
> Hmm, what laptop/soundcard and what version of ALSA (the dma routines were
> rewritten quite recently)? It's true that intel8x0 is used quite a few
> different laptops/cards [1], so it's possible that not all work as well as
> I've experienced, but as it's in any case the same driver on the audio
> side, these problems shouldn't be common.
>
> [1] {Intel,82801AA-ICH},"
> 	"{Intel,82901AB-ICH0},"
> 	"{Intel,82801BA-ICH2},"
> 	"{Intel,82801CA-ICH3},"
> 	"{Intel,82801DB-ICH4},"

One of the intel, but forget what revision. Its actually builtin to
some generic mobo (i.e. not laptop). The ALSA drivers were always
after they fixed some major issues. I think it may have been more due
to JACK which was no where near as reliable as it is now. I should try
it again soon when I have time. Actually I never intended to use it
for serious work, since the hiss is unbearable.

--ant