[linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 18:48:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:40:23 -0700, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Everybody should have at least one good dynamic mic!
> I've got a Sennheiser 421.  An EV RE-20 would be even nicer.

I have an EV dynamic mic, but it is a vocal mic of some kind, and it has
seen better days, the grill thing round the ouside is dinted and rusty!
It was never that sensitive anyway. My preffered mic is a big ugly black
octava condenser.

> > I never thought of a baloon, I was going to try a kids cap
> > gun.
>
> Didn't think of that.

People often use starter pistols, but I think that would be seriously
unpleasent in a small, concrete tank, and they are hard to get hold of.
You have to deconvolve them, which requires getting an uncouloured
recording of the pistol, which is probably also hard.

> Balloon pops probably have some coloration, but they're much stronger and
> probably less colored than handclaps...  I don't have a spark-gap
> generator--I don't even know what it is really, but I've heard
> those are the "proper" tool for acoustic impulses.

Accoring to google, a spark-gap generator is a bigish dangerous looking
van-de-graff type thing. Hmmm... impulse gathering death sports ;)

The circuits look pretty simple, but I'm not safe with soldering irons.

- Steve