[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Tue Oct 22 19:13:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Ivica Bukvic wrote:

>> offended by Ivica's message where he proposed that JACK developers are
>> arrogant if they don't implement x and y. OSS or not, that's not very nice
>> considering how much free time we have spend on this.
> And what do you think how do I feel when I contribute to this community
> with my apps (which certainly are nothing even close in scope or quality
> to Ardour, but are my best and most honest shot at it), spend most of my

Btw; I'm not involved in any way with the Ardour project, and there are
also others in the same position involved in JACK development. Who knows,
maybe you and I might share some common goals with regards to future JACK
development. There might be also others. But with the messages like the
one I have referred to above, you are just burning bridges.

> Besides, I was, and still am the advocate of Alsa. But even Alsa
> supports OSS apps (to some extent), so I have no clue as to why you are
> placing me in the OSS camp. If you read my post carefully, you'd realize
> that I am talking about good quality apps that will simply not be usable
> with Jack framework which is a shame, and as such would limit user's
> ability to unlock the full potential of Linux audio...

Ok, let's try to calm a bit. Facts about this issue:

1) most JACK developers have nothing against a OSS-to-JACK or
   ALSA-to-JACK bridge; in fact, most would like to see one
2) there is real technical problems involved in implementing (1);
   we will never be able to demonstrate JACK's best features
   with apps using (1)
3) there are currently real technical problems getting native JACK
   clients to run well enough
4) we must get JACK to perform well enough with _some_
   clients, so that we can demo and market it to developers
5) (4) is not going to happens with bridged (1) apps, so
   we are currently focusing all our energy to (1)
6) Paul has done most of the work involved in (5) and this
   might shine through from his recent messages ;)
7) even though Paul is the project leader, there's a community
   of users and developers behind JACK
8) we don't have a central pr-agency; not everything said
   and written by a person involved in JACK represents
   the opinion of all involved developers and users
9) if someone implements (1) in a way that doesn't
   compromise (4) (which we absolutely need to achieve),
   most JACK developers (but remember (8) ;)) have
   nothing against it

... ok, that should settle it. :)

--
 http://www.eca.cx