[linux-audio-dev] Fwd: Opinions on running VST or DirectX pluginson Linux in real time

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 23 14:53:00 UTC 2002

> Wow, it allready exist. Hey, wine-people, this driver is really needed for
> real-time audio-work, and for programs as sound-editors, multitrackers
> and interactive dsp programs as pd, jmax, and a lot of others. Artsd
> (f.ex) is not an alternative in its current form, and probably never will
> be either. Its something else. I guess Paul or some other competant person
> can explain a bit more why jack is so important.
don't hold your breath for this one:
- jack support is used for audio playback (to jack is seen just as an
  output device)
- code is new, not reviewed, and not yet committed to wine
- as of today it can only be used for sound output (not sound recording)
  (from a windows driver point of view)
- port routing will not be easily solved. for example, it will be hard
  match dynamic aspect of JACK port creation/deletion (unless we break
  away from windows API)
- being able to run a VST plugin is one thing, providing all the
relevant
  glue for all the streams might a bit more difficult
- last, but not least, performance (and especially low latency) will be
  difficult to provide from a wine point of view (with today
infrastructure)

A+