[linux-audio-dev] Wave Editors

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Oct 25 14:20:01 UTC 2002

>Is this really of any use? I never recorded with sweep (I use
>ecasound), but when I tried to load a 10 minute ogg file into sweep,
>it refused this because of exhausted memory. I have 256 MB, that
>should be enough for 10 minutes of sound data. So how good is sweep
>with longer soundfiles?

*if* sweep uses floats or ints to represent audio data in memory (a
big *if*) then 10 minutes of 48kHz 2 channel audio is about 219MB:

   mins * secs/min * samples/sec * bytes/sample * channels

     10 * 60 * 48000 * 4 * 2 = 230400000 / 1048576 = 219

i would consider a much more fundamental problem with sweep (which the
author has plans to fix at some point) is the assumption that the
audio data will fit in memory. this just isn't viable for working with
"music" rather than "audio clips".

gnoise doesn't do this, and neither does snd. i am not sure about
audacity, but i suspect it doesn't either.

--p