[linux-audio-dev] Wave Editors

Lamar Owen lamar.owen at wgcr.org
Fri Oct 25 16:16:00 UTC 2002

On Friday 25 October 2002 02:18 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Is this really of any use? I never recorded with sweep (I use
> >ecasound), but when I tried to load a 10 minute ogg file into sweep,
> >it refused this because of exhausted memory. I have 256 MB, that
> >should be enough for 10 minutes of sound data. So how good is sweep
> >with longer soundfiles?

> i would consider a much more fundamental problem with sweep (which the
> author has plans to fix at some point) is the assumption that the
> audio data will fit in memory. this just isn't viable for working with
> "music" rather than "audio clips".

> gnoise doesn't do this, and neither does snd. i am not sure about
> audacity, but i suspect it doesn't either.

I regularly edit 2 hour 44.1k stereo 16bit files with Audacity.  Sweep looks
really really good -- but won't open that size file.  Audacity has a bug in
its handling of that size file, which I need to report when I have time to
write it up properly, but it's something I can work around easily enough.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio