[linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 04:07:01 UTC 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:33:26 -0800, Paul Winkler wrote:
> 1, 2, and 4 are the most common. It's common to only
> mic 1 of the cones, pretty close up - but it's also common
> to do any bizarre combination of mics and placements you can
> think of.

Yup, but for starters, one dynamic mic at a selectable position along the
front I think.

> The main trick with mic placement is that, when you close mic
> a speaker, it sounds very different in the middle than it
> does near the edge. Have you played with this much?

Not a huge ammount. I owned an amp for a while (now I own a battered box
that smokes and sparks when plugged in and some interesting looking bits).

There is a guy who sells amps in my street, so I'm consider going and
picking up a cheap one.

My provisional plan is to measure the boundary and cone position effects
with my dynamic and a nearfield monitor. The monitor wont give me
eqivalent results, but there are fewer variables.

> > The killer plugin would model the acoutstics of a studio when you've just
> > got in from the pub, its 2am, you've just created a really great sound and
> > you're too drunk to find a blank DAT ;)
>
> It would have to call an at  script to make it sound awful when you
> next come in to the studio ;).

For maximal realism is should probably add a muted sample of someone
shouting "turn that f**king noise off".

- Steve