[linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin

Tommi Ilmonen tilmonen at cc.hut.fi
Mon Oct 28 10:46:01 UTC 2002

Hi.

On 17 Oct 2002, nick wrote:

> Hi
>
> IMO running each synth in its own thread with many synths going is
> definitely _not_ the way forward. The host should definitely be the only
> process, much how VST, DXi, pro tools et. al. work.
>
> No, there is no real "instrument" or "synth" plugin API. but since my
> original post I have been brewing something up. its quite vst-like in
> some ways, but ive been wanting to make it more elegant before
> announcing it. It does, however, work, and is totally C++ based ATM. You
> just inherit the "Instrument" class and voila. (ok, so it got renamed
> along the way)
>
> Although in light of Tommi's post (mastajuuri) i have to reconsider
> working on my API. My only problem with mastajuuri is its dependance on
> QT (if im not mistaken), sorry.

You are not mistaken. I could change the structure of Mustajuuri to make
some kind of core system (just DSP engine) with no Qt dependencies *IF* it
did get more developers for Mustajuuri (enough to justify dropping all the
Qt's tools (and I do mean tools besides the graphical stuff: Unicode
strings, XML, directory management, date and time services, language
translations etc.)).

But unless there is clear promise of this there is little point in going
for the extra effort.

Mustajuuri is modular in a sense that you can run DSP without
running a GUI. Or you can build alternate GUIs with other toolkits. Then
again there is prabably little point in making the Mustajuuri GUI with
anything but Qt, since the Qt will be necessary anyhow. Since all Linux
vendors distribute (and usually install) Qt it is a fairly safe library to
build on.

Tommi Ilmonen                 Researcher
 >=> http://www.hut.fi/u/tilmonen/
  Linux/IRIX audio:           Mustajuuri
   >=> http://www.tml.hut.fi/~tilmonen/mustajuuri/
    3D audio/animation:       DIVA