[linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Mon Oct 28 11:44:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:56:34 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> >how are you plugging in your guitar?
>> >if it's a guitar with passive electronics and you're going
>> >straight to the A/D converter, i'd expect it to be
>> >overly sensitive to the volume control.
>>
>> yes, it's passive, two humbuckers. it's going through the
>> mixer first, the signal's not strong enough to go AD directly.
>> playing to the control out instead of through the box, the
>> vol pot sensitivity is what you expect.
>
>Thats something that worried me, I seem to remeber that the sound of a
>guitar changes if its not impedance matched with the AD converter. I'm
>pretty sure, mine doesn't match passive guitars. My bass is active though,
>and I dont have any DI boxes, so no choice anyway.

sorry, i've been unprecise again. i meant, 'what one expects
from a decent instrument preamp' rather than 'what paul
describes'.

in fact the mixer preamp volume sensitivity is ok (it has
been built with mics and guitars in mind i guess). of course
the mixer preamp lacks the compression of an instrument amp.

tim (trying to exercise think-before-write for a change)