[linux-audio-dev] Re: [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Tue Oct 29 08:26:01 UTC 2002

Stuart Allie wrote:

>be done at a much higher sample rate at which the alias distortion is less
>of a problem, then digitally low-pass filtered to less than half of the
>system sample rate, and finally resampled."

unfortunately, oversampling takes quite a lot of cpu cycles.
according to steve's recent post, he expects the current
valve_1209.so plugin's cpu usage to rise linearly, 4x over =
4x cpu. luckily, the valve itself doesn't alias so much we'd
have to go there for now.

>Overdriving a tube stage too much gives you harsher clipping, not the
>singing, sweet distortion we want. To really get sweet, crunchy distortion,
>keep each stage that goes into distortion no more than 6-9db into
>distortion.

yes, stacking the valve plugins works fairly well. nice to
see that traditional tube techniques find their counterpart
in our efforts, it means we're not doing something completely
unrelated. ;)

>All fuel for thought I hope.

yup. thanks!

tim