[linux-audio-dev] Re: chebychev

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Oct 31 08:25:01 UTC 2002

> >It would be more efficient to just calculate the corect chebyshev in
> >realtime, the problem is that they have lienar CPU cost with the number of
> >harmonics, 20 harmonics for example will be pretty expensive.
>
> there's one problem i see: if we employ a chebyshev, it is going
> to create harmonics no matter what amplitude our incoming signal
> [...]
> it seems hard to come up with a wave shaper that favours higher
> harmonics,[...]

I have only been skimming this discussion, but these caught my eye,
and I'm wondering what you mean by "chebychev" here.  If you're
driving a sum Chebychev polynomials with the original signal, none of
these statements is necessarily correct -- you can preload a table
with the polynomials, so the computational load can be unrelated to the
harmonic content; the content will depend on the input amplitude; high
harmonics are easy -- just emphasize the relevant polynomial --
probably I don't know what you're talking about.