[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++

Richard Bown bownie at bownie.com
Wed Sep 18 06:26:55 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 01:50, David Olofson wrote:

> I was thinking about CCs, Program Change and stuff. Is there a
> standard way of asking a synth for the names of it's patches, or
> which CCs are assigned to what, for example?

I was wondering aloud to Peter (iiwusynth) about this a while ago.
You could implement this kind of stuff in SysExs quite easily and if you
could strip program names from a soundfont too it might prove even more
useful.  A softsynth description databurst to the sequencer on connection
could then populate the appropriate information including soft synth
version and features.

I'd love to see this kind of interface and indeed would probably have a
go at hacking one together when I'm not so busy doing more fundamental
stuff.  Of course as John points out against MIDI hardware this kind of
stuff is a lot of work (but still feasible) - with timidity and iiwusynth
we could probably come to some sort of arrangement.