[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++

Peter L Jones peter at drealm.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 17:37:10 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 17 Sep 2002 23:23, David Olofson wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 20.33, Peter L Jones wrote:
[snip]

> > I was thinking it might be fun to have a midi sequencer with a
> > rather large library of MIDI controllers.  I was thinking of using
> > Non-Registered Parameters - one to select the LADSPA plug in (by
> > number), one to set its position in the plugin chain, and as many
> > more as is required to control it
>
> That sounds a lot like what I'm doing right now, in what's to be
> released as the *real* Audiality Engine (*). The "new" engine is
> formerly known (or probably not!) as the "unnamed audio engine of
> Kobo Deluxe", and is the reason why you get three songs with custom
> sound for practically no increase in download size. (Oh, there are
> some 100 instruments included in the package as an extra bonus.)

[snip]

Mmm, hadn't considered such an approach - I think I'd end up very confused.  I
just about understand MIDI enough (thanks to
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec/*) to be able to see what you're
doing...

> > - unless someone fancies getting
> > the LADSPA plugins allocated numbers by the MIDI Manufacturers
> > Association...
>
> Well, I think the time would be better spent working on a serious
> control interface, for plugin APIs as well as various hardware links.
> IMHO, MIDI's lack of feedback (you can't ask units about things,
> unless you have two cables - and that's not really part of the
> standard), low bandwidth in it's h/w form, limited resolution, the
> per-channel note ID == note pitch restriction etc etc, makes it a
> major PITA for this kind of stuff.

Yes, getting a MIDI device to account for itself would be nice...

One of the other things I'll end up doing with TiMidity++ is writing up what
it's currently capable of (I can't find a nice, straightforward list of its
MIDI capabilities anywhere).

> > I did an archive search on "timidity" and found nothing -- is
> > software sequencing off topic or is there somewhere else I should
> > go to discuss changes to TiMidity++?
>
> I would assume the timidity list is the right place for timidity
> specific discussion. (Not on it, and I'm off-line, so I can't check
> the info easilly. I'm a lazy bastard; sorry. ;-)

All I can ever find is a page in Japanese (which I can't understand).

> As to "software sequencing on LAD" in general though, I would believe
> that's about as ON topic as it gets! :-)

That's alright then :-)

> //David

Many thanks,

-- Peter