[linux-audio-dev] FLTK/X11 question

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 25 16:45:36 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:12:31 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> >> I seem to remeber that on the Amiga and in GL I could issue a call to wait
> >> for the next vertical blank, forcing the redraw to be in sync with the
> >> video hardware. Is there an equivalent in FLTK or X?
> >>
> >> How do other people get round this?
>
> i'd look at the GL kernel support sites, they might have a patch that
> creates some sort of a '/dev/retrace', or add it to GLX. with vanilla
> linux/X there's no way to do this except busy-wait reading inb
> (0x3da) afaik.

There is a copy-on-next-vert-refresh call in X, I think. Part of the dbe
extension.

I dont think I can use it with FLTK though, as I can't find a way of
drawing onto an non-screen surface and then using the dbe.

Its probably just a bad choice of toolkit. GDK and SDL seem to be able to
do it.

- Steve