[linux-audio-dev] FLTK/X11 question

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 04:57:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 09:12:22 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:38, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I know a VU meter in a PCM system is about as much use as an underwater
> >    hairdryer
>
> I don't know.  Why is useless? :)

Because vu meters only give you an idea of the average amplitude over a
fairly long time, and say nothing about peaks, so there no good for
detecting 'overs' in digital systems.

However if you're using jack to feed 1/2" tape or broadcast FM then the're
possibly useful.

Hands up all those who record to multitrack analogue tape ;)

- Steve