[linux-audio-dev] LJ article response

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Fri Apr 4 11:55:01 UTC 2003

Paul Davis wrote:

> >  Just a note to mention that the Karlsruhe report has had 3,871 reads
> >so far, more than any other article listed except for the Ultimate Linux
> >Box on-line project. Seems like maybe people are really interested in
> >what you guys are up to ! :)
>
> couldn't be because its on /., could it? :))
>
>   http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/04/1340204&mode=thread&tid=141&tid=106

Well, yesterday the hits numbered about 3300. Personally I believe the
attraction is our handsome smiling faces in Joern's photo gallery.

The /. readers comments are mostly the predictable stuff, not much to
see there, but some more people are getting the idea that ALSA isn't OSS
and maybe Linux audio doesn't have to suck. Still a lot of ignorance
about what software is currently available. I suppose that getting more
distro support would help the cause immensely, i.e., if more of them
included more cool stuff a la SuSE.

One of the complaints was that we absolutely had to support VST and ASIO
for professional acceptance. I had to smile at that one. Yesterday I
read a blurb on a soundfonts site, regarding the new ASIO and the
incredible < 27 milliseconds latency. I like the VST plugins I've played
with, but I prefer < 3 msec. ;)

== dp