[linux-audio-dev] lock-free ring buffer code

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Apr 4 15:45:01 UTC 2003

>OK, I haven't been programming much lately, but when did I miss atomic_t
>becoming a part of any C standard?

its not. its a type derived from the kernel headers, which also
defines some basic operations on them. for most common architectures,
they resolve to integer read/write.

>Also, several people have referred to the atomicity of int/pointer
>read/write.  This is news to me - can someone point me at the spec for this?

its an architecture-specific issue. its not true on SPARCs and on some
NUMA systems. it has nothing to do with a language per se.

--p