[linux-audio-dev] Art of free software (was Re: Audio* Project)

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 7 06:44:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 20:43, Nick wrote:
> Forget it guys, I'll do it by myself. I really don't care anymore if I
> am the only person who ever uses it.
>
> I just wanted some tools that did what I want the way I want it. Since I
> can't run Rebirth on Linux I made a tool like it but not copying it. I
> don't want to get into trouble with them. It doesn't violate any
> copyright laws that I know of.
>
> I'm not really looking for anything, but it would sure be nice to have 1
> person out of the 50 a day who download a day send me an email saying
> hello how are you. That is what drives me nuts. Software doesn't grow on
> trees and I spent 6 hard months of intense work getting something like
> this to come togethor.
>
> Peace

I know the feeling :(   :)

I also feel like free software can be a bit thankless sometimes. There
are a lot of projects out there, and a lot of people also have to face
other realities that take up their time. I also have a project that I
have been wanting to develop with others on. I think writing free
software can best be done when one enjoys it. I find that if I'm always
feeling like, this is for a good cause or some type of charity I start
to feel like its never gonna end and I will never see that great reward
I'm looking for. When I make the process of writing the software the
reward, its what I live for and what I want to do. I have also longed
for interaction with others on projects, thats why I'm deciding to start
traveling again. This free software thing is really an incredible
movement in the world. At this point I see so much potential in what can
be done with it. I want to become a part of it in more ways than just
some hands pressing keys on a keyboard in some forgotten location of the
world. I think thats what will really propel this movement forward, is
when we all start meeting each other in person, showing each other our
creations, and helping one another to freely create music.
I think there are many other ways that we can see how much we are
working together. Keeping up with current Linux API standards that allow
one to interface with other programs I think is sometimes the best way
to help each other. Things like JACK, ALSA sequencer, LADCCA, LADSPA and
other standards are all helping to create that time proven UN*X model
for music and sound (simple components connected together) and in a way
that keeps it free to participate in. So by each one of us creating a
piece of it (some parts smaller some parts larger), I think one day the
realization will come for each one of us..

Wow!! Free software/Linux/music/audio is where its at! Its happening
right now.
	Cheers.
	Josh Green

P.S. On a more personal/practical note, relating to my travels.. :) This
whole travel bug has just caught me in the past day or so, so I'm
somewhat winging it. I'd like to try and make the LinuxTag LAD booth. I
have no specific date for returning to my home land, so I'm looking for
connections and people to meet. If you live in this area and would like
to network, I'd like to meet you. Feel free to contact me personally..