[linux-audio-dev] Re: SMTPE/MTC Again

John Galbraith bartok at losalamos-nm.com
Tue Apr 15 00:31:00 UTC 2003

On Monday 14 April 2003 06:26 am, you wrote:

> the ALSA sequencer does not do this. it could probably be coerced into
> doing so, but it wouldn't work correctly on kernels pre 2.5.6X or
> so. the "scheduling" requirements for delivering MTC are impossible to
> satisfy in earlier kernels without patches (and not the low-latency
> patch, but others).

So I am working on a new composition that is ready for some computer
assistance.  The way I choose to work, I need a sequencer application like
Muse or Rosegarden to sync either to my ADAT or to Ardour.  Both options
would be best, but one or the other would get me going.  Because this is a
priority for me, I am interested enough in making this happen that I will
hack on code for a while instead of composing.

May I have some guidance from the LAD wizards about what is the most realistic
way for this to happen?

1)  Which tools, hardware or software, have the cleanest timing designs ready
for a satisfying sync implementation between a sequencer and a recorder?

2) In those codebases, which part(s) need the work, and what is the most
satisfying way to go about it?

3) Are there any new pieces of independent software like a driver module that
would be convenient to have as part of a good, clean, sync solution?

For composing my last record, I used my ancient black face ADAT with a
Steinberg MTC generator, a Motu MIDI Express XT for getting the MTC to the
computer, and an ancient version of Cakewalk in 'doze that slaved to the
ADAT.  Although using 'doze and Cakewalk was extremely painful and was
generally far from what I really wanted, the syncronization seemed to work
OK.  My demands were not particularly high, though, because none of the
sequencer/ADAT work was used for the album other than as a scratch track.
(All the released tracks were 100% analog, the way I like it.)  I'm hoping
that soon, I can get this basic set of Linux tools that do everything as well
or better without the pain of windoze.

Thanks for any advice,
	John