[linux-audio-dev] SMTPE/MTC Again

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 15 08:33:00 UTC 2003

> >       * a protocol that encodes time information in an audio stream
> >       * a format for specifying time (HH:MM:SS:FF)
>
>Except for video editors, the HH:MM:SS:FF format is completely
>irrelevant.

unfortunately not. in many studios, SMPTE is carried via MTC. in MTC,
there is no other representation except HH:MM:SS:FF. i see no way
around this (other than to say "we don't support MTC", which is a
pretty major thing to say). the specifications of MTC make no
allowance for the idea that SMPTE is trying to specify a position in
seconds at all (as far as i can tell).

--p