[linux-audio-dev] Gibson magic protocol

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Apr 15 12:15:01 UTC 2003

> > Has anybody investigated the Gibson MaGIC protocol for use on Linux?  It
> looks like a perfect match: lots of audio channels and control data over
> CAT5.  Just buy a separate network card, port their protocol to Linux, and
> then you could use their 16-in 16-out box, or get input directly
> from one of
> their new guitars with the RJ45 port on it.  The The only scary
> bit is that
> the license is free "for the next10 years" only.
>
> I may be wrong but I don't think this protocol will work with a
> normal NIC. I'm not sure what (if any?) the advantages of this
> protocol are over IEEE1394.

I've looked at the protocol a very little bit. (I work in the 1394 area.) I
have not seen a detailed spec though, so I only have impressions. Take the
following with a grain of salt.

1) I do not think the packets that are sent in this protocol will
necessarily coexist very well with standard Ethernet, so the observation of
doing it with a second NIC is probably correct from what I can tell. That's
really no different than replacing a 1394 adapter with a second NIC, which
is probably less expensive if it works.

2) CAT5 cables would be superior to 1394 as they are locked into the
connectors and wouldn't fall out of your guitar. They are longer and more
flexible. On the downside, CAT5 connectors quickly wear out so what works
well today may not work well after a few evenings of heavy gigging.

All in all, I think it should be looked at, at least for PC to PC
communications. It makes no difference at the peripheral (guitar, hard
drive, TV) unless that piece of equipment uses it.

Cheers,
Mark