[linux-audio-dev] a little C++ guidance needed

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 15 12:18:00 UTC 2003

>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:22:40AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Nick's advice to upgrade my compiler is timely (I'm using GCC 2.96 from
>> RH 7.2) but unfortunately I can't make the switch right now. If there's
>> an obvious (or non-obvious) solution to my dilemma I'd be happy to hear
>> of it.
>
>Its possible to installed the redhat provided gcc3 alongside 2.96, you set
>some environment variabel to set which one youre using. You have to make
>sure that all the C++ it links against is built with the same compiler
>ofcourse.

i find that a little unsafe for various emotional reasons. so i use
this script (having built gcc3 using ./configure --prefix=/usr/gcc3,
and created /usr/gcc2/bin to hold all my old gcc2.95 executables). i
switch back and forth as needed.

#!/bin/bash

progs="c++  c++filt  cpp  gcc  gcov  i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  protoize  unprotoize
"

case $1 in
    2) dir=/usr/gcc2/bin ;;
    3) dir=/usr/gcc3/bin ;;