[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Hosting

Nick Tsocanos nicktsocanos at charter.net
Thu Apr 17 07:43:10 UTC 2003

> right, that's exactly why we need more hints in LADSPA. No (or very few)

> so, please join the campaign for more hints in ladspa, brother!

Yes, I can see this already.

So far, I think LADSPA needs some tweaking, but it works pretty good.

I think every plugin should implement every function mandatory. Why?
When I first started, I executed activate() deactivate() run_adding()
without checking if they were NULL.

Since I need run_adding() and not all plugins implement I had to make my
own run_adding() driver. Not really hard to do, but, if run_adding() was
mandatory in all plugins, it would be less work overall.

What would be really nice, would be hints that could be used
programmatcially by the program so that it could switch it and determine
exactly how the plugins was intended to be used.

Particularly, this would be easy, would be a bit mask, that specified if
it was a synthesis flag, or an effect processor, or something else. One
boolean comparison and you could determine how a plugin could be used.

I let all plugins through now, but some work very strangely in my app.
Some don't seem to work at all.

Now, I have realized one thing: not all LADSPA plugins are good and will
initialize themselves. So, I have to make sure I initialize it with the
default hints, or it will blow up, lock up my system with massive buffer
under runs because the plugin is making NANs or massive denormals or
doing something just plain naughty.Some of them will come up in a random
state and more or less they will lock up my system.

> > I plan on doing alot of LADSPA plugins. Why? It's so simple API to use.
>
> HALLELUJAH!

Hehe.

What I haven't figured out is why there are NO CHORUS plugins. I love
chorus, it is my favorite effects. I have written dozens of Chorus and
Chorus variation effects. So, my first plugins are going to be Chorus
boxes. This is weird, it seems the entire world neglects Chorus, not
just LADSPA. If I recall, when I played with Reason, it didn't have
Chorus either. Rebirth didn't have Chorus. Waddup with that? Chorus is
the BEST effect for analog signals. Detuned oscillators and a chorus box
make PHAT PHAT PHAT sounds.