[linux-audio-dev] modern guitar preamps modelisation DSP techniques

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 08:50:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:39:29PM +0200, Fabien Costantini wrote:
> Hi, I very interested into DSP modelisation techniques
> and more precisely about Guitar preamps modelisation techniques.
>
> Anyone have some resources, any SoA / Paper related to this subject ?

There isn't very much out there, most of the techniques are still valuable
IP.

One of the common approaches seem to be circuit analysis with something
like spice, you can describe the circuit to the spice system and it
outputs the differential equaltion of the cuircuit, which you can then
transform into an IIR filter.

Tim Goetze has done this for the 12ax7 and a preamp: http://quitte.de/dsp/
his ladspa plugins in combination with some other stuff can make a nice
sounding amp tone, though I've no idea if its 'realistic' or not.

- Steve