[linux-audio-dev] Denormal numbers

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 17:53:00 UTC 2003

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 07:47:31 +0100, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>

>>Here's where I've got to so far. Comments are welcome.
>>

>Looks fine in theory, but it forces an extra branch per MUL, which is not
>really practical.

Its only an extra branch on the MULs where you actually use it. I'm not
suggesting
replacing every multiplication everywhere with this, but to pinpoint
*exactly*
the MUL that might first produce a denormal (*if* that is actually a
potential
problem in an app) and replacing just one crucial multiplication with a
flushing
function, which hopefully will propogate the zero through the rest of the
calculation.

>I haven't had a chance to try your fixes to FLUSH_TO_ZERO, but I'l try
>this week.

They definitely fix actual problems, but I'm not at all convinced that they
fix all problems. I suspect that its still broken. If so then my
flushing multiply
functions are possibly (but not definitely) broken in the same way.

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)