Monitor - again Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux 2.6 not a latency panacea?

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Thu Aug 14 15:03:01 UTC 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 15.59, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:55:28 +0300 (EEST),
>
> Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> > For example, one new approach to the problem SCHED_SOFTRR, see:
> > http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/softrr.html
> > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.1/1729.html
> >
> > It's unlikely to get something like this enabled by default in the
> > vanilla kernel, but we might be able to get a kernel option (no
> > patching!). But, but, as you can see from the discussion, they are
> > talking about totally different things (how XMMS/realplayer performs)...
> >
> > ... basicly a way to get benefits of SCHED_FIFO but without need for root
> > privileges. Now we just need to push these to the standard kernel
> > somehow.
>
> i think the most benifit of soft-RR is that it doesn't bring your box
> hanging up even if a RT-process gets into an infinite loop.  this will
> help to sort out the problem when a JACK system freezes with
> SCHED_FIFO.  (i.e. if it happens with soft-RR, it's a kernel/driver
> bug :)

My monitor can do this too. But you need to have that running.
It degrades ALL SCHED_FIFO/RT processes to SCHED_OTHER
on overuse - processes that do run as root could be protected. (FUTURE)

> running by the normal user is an additional gift, for my eyes.
> such a feature can be implemented with a wrapper (library), too,
> as jackstart does.

You can request SCHED_FIFO/RT from my monitor.

Current implementation is working but it can be improved!
It uses static allocations intentionally.

The problem is to get it accepted - should it be added to jack(d)?

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå