[linux-audio-dev] softsynth SDK?

nikodimka nikodimka at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 13:19:01 UTC 2003

Hello,

Robert Jonsson  wrote:

>> So what do you guys think?
>> Does LAD community need an SDK for rapid development of
>> out of process, aseq-to-jack, (plus ladcca ?) synths?
>> Or are there some reasons why this idea is inpractical?
>
> I can't remember the beginning of this thread, though gut feeling is that
> there are already quite a few projects in this vein.

In the beginning of the thread I asked about somthing resembling
"softsynth SDK" (not visual programming environment where I rewire modules,
but the API + libs + headers + etc.)
to create alsaseq->synth->jack (plus ladcca?) synth.

> If you truly want to do rapid synth development you should construct synths in
> Pd or Max,

I was unable to figure out how to connect Pd to alsaseq MIDI.
and found the comment in Pd sources:
" For MIDI, we only offer the OSS API; ALSA has to emulate OSS for us."
I think that there can be a external to catch alsaseq MIDI,
but it stands pretty far from what I would call selfcontained synth.
For the SDK in question I would assume minimum dependacies on external programs.

> or even one of the modular synths, e.g. galan, ssm, ams + probably

Unfortunately ssm seems to be unable to talk to alsaseq too.

I understand that I can use some kind of bridge between OSS and alsa MIDI input
but this is pretty far from the idea too.

> several others, Supercollider comes to mind since it was recently mentioned
> here.

nikodimka