[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire, what's the story?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 9 12:35:50 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 12:57:16 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> I googled a little last night, some people we all know popped up here and
> there (Hi Steve, Mark and Bob).
> There was a LAD message from 2001, someone who had been in contact with Yamaha
> and it seemed they(Yamaha) where working towards making mLan a part of the
> A&M standard (I think I got that right...not sure)... now... I'm not entirely
> sure what this means. It seemed as the A&M standards also cost a lot of
> money?

There is a connection mangement mart of mLAN that is/was not included in the
IEEE specs.

The A+M specs are available for free:
http://inanna.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/mLAN/

> Do we have enough information to implement mLan support?

Everything but the connection management. I know thats inportant, but
I dont know how important.

Theres also the issue that some of these firewire ADDA converters might
not use mLAN or A+M. In that case things may even e easier - assuming we
can get specs from the mantufacturer.

> As I understand it, Bob Ham had/is working on implementing 61883 support for
> Jack, which seems like it's needed for mLan, a layer below it perhaps? How
> far has this come, is there something one can test somehow, what hardware do
> one need?

He has partly working non-61883 audio over firewire support. I think its
quite 61883 flavoured though - so if/when its working it should be hard to
make it real 61883.

- Steve