[linux-audio-dev] CD fast forward behaviour

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Wed Dec 10 02:59:06 UTC 2003

Every CD player I tested seem only to skips sectors when doing fast
forward.
You hear short pieces of the song at original pitch. Perhaps they do
some crossfading between
 audio chunks to lower pops and clicks, I don't know.
I think the only exceptions could be DJ-style players that perhaps allow
to speed up the
song (without skipping sectors). Probably this requires to read the CDDA
data like a
PC CDROM drive does and then send that audio to a DAC at higher rates
(or probably more likely resampling the input and output it at the usual
44.1kHz).

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org