[linux-audio-dev] Linux Security Module for realtime audio

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Dec 10 09:54:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 09:08, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Jesper Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Their explanation is here:
> >
> > http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
> Good reasons, IMHO.
>
> And I see no reason why drawing a colorful GUI should require realtime
> privileges -- it's the other way round: the audio processing should
> have priority over the GUI.

If the GUI is not running in realtime, then things like changing the
patch number from the midi stream won't be reflected instantaniously on
screen. To the contrary: You can almost imagine SuperMario running up
and down the interface with his little brushes, slowly repainting each
and every knob and slider :-) This happens even if the realtime audio
engine is near idle.

The audio engine can still have priority over the GUI. That is to say:
The GUI is another realtime process albeit with a much lower priority
(than the audio engine.)

cheers // Jens M Andreasen