[linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Tue Dec 16 06:44:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:37:20 +0200
Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia at nic.funet.fi> wrote:

> Also an audiofile comparer program would be great to have: a program
> which finds matching regions. Now it was easy to compare the regions
> up to the "!" point with md5sum program, but it was difficult to compare
> the end part due misaligning. I compared them visually at a few random
> points. In such a comparer program each matching sample would match
> bitwise for this application, but they could match with an error tolerance
> if the application is to compare an original audio and an edited audio
> which is affected by dither noise (say). So, such a comparer would
> reveal what edits were done in an audio editor -- I have needed such
> a program a few times earlier.

I started a program like that based on libsndfile. Its definitely not as
easy as you might at first think, especially when dealing with say
45 minutes worth of 96kHz/24bit/Stereo data :-).

Maybe I should clean that code up a bit and post it.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)