[linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Sat Dec 27 20:51:37 UTC 2003

>From: Fred Gleason <fredg at salemradiolabs.com>
>
> there are no sample-accurate positioning data in the disk sectors, just
>PCM samples.  If the drive loses streaming, there's no reliable way to
>determine precisely where the read left off

Just to sum all up: as we have seen the drive did not loose the streaming;
it was cdparanoia which got out of sync.

So, only thing which fails is the cdparanoia.

>> Yes, I have a hardware problem, specially when using CDROM
>> but also with disks. Buggy IDE I think, or Linux does not support
>
>Then I wouldn't be spending time picking Paranoia apart until this issue is
>resolved.

But who said the problem was caused by the hardware problems?
Honestly I don't *know* if I have hardware problems or not.

I just noticed mails with subject "The trouble with disks"
in linux-audio-user. His problems sounds like the problems I have,
and he too has an MSI board. It could mean that MSI boards are
simply bad or that Linux requires special bios settings.

If anyone else has MSI board and believes it is perfectly ok, please
mail me and we will verify it by doing some tests (as believing is
not enough!).

Question: should the system clock go faster when CD-ROM device is used?
It goes faster here and thus my /etc/crontab has lines for reading
the hardware clock every ten minutes:
 01 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
 11 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
 etc.

IRQ problems? Wrong settings in bios? Wrong settings in board switches?

Of course, it is always easier to blame the mysterious hardware
problems as one can then forget the possible real problems.

Regards,
Juhana