[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 07:41:01 UTC 2003

Commenting on your comment, I'm about to read the doc.

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:18:10 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> 	* Assuming that audio and sequencer stuff is in different
> 	  threads, and even have plugins deal with the sync sounds
> 	  like a *very* bad idea to me.

Yes, I very much doubt this would work.

> 	* GUI code in the same binaries is not even possible on
> 	  some platforms. (At least not with standard toolkits.)

Agreed, this is not ideal, ohm force are a host based processing shop, so
haven't thought about these issues. The TDM people will obviously have
different ideas.

> 	* I think the VST style dispatcher idea is silly. A table
> 	  of function pointers, with a bunch of reserved NULLs
> 	  would be simpler, faster and just as extensible for all
> 	  practical matters.

Ideally this would be abstracted in the API, ELF sytems wouldn't need this
anyway, its just because COFF is broken.

> 	* Is using exceptions internally in plugins safe and
> 	  portable?

Exceptions are a C++ feature.

> 	* Hosts assume all plugins to be in-place broken. Why?

It doesn't really matter what the default is as long as you can override
it. That way is probably safer.

> 	* No mix output mode; only replace. More overhead...

But how many hosts use mix? As a plugin author, having to implement both
is a pain. I use code generation to make both functions.

> 	* Buffers 16 byte aligned. Sufficient?

This should just be a host guideline shouldn't it.

> 	* Events are used for making connections. (But there's
> 	  also a function call for it...)

If the events are a signalling and the funciton calls make the actual
connections then this is convienient.

> 	* Note IDs are just "random" values chosen by the sender,
> 	  which means synths must hash and/or search...

Yup, this is bad. VVIDs are not an obvious solution though.

> 	* Hz is not a good unit for pitch...
> 	* Why both pitch and transpose?

Presumably because they dont understand how to represent pitch.
Base frequnecy + octave cleans this up.

> 	* Why [0, 2] ranges for Velocity and Pressure?

1.0 for default/middle kinda makes sense, but I agree its wrong.

> 	* The "save state chunk" call seems cool, but what's
> 	  the point, really?

This could be useful for state storing in hosts, but how many would use
it? I'd certainly be reluctant to implemnt it.

- Steve