[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev digest, Vol 1 #312 - 8 msgs

Ben Loftis ben at glw.com
Mon Feb 3 10:15:01 UTC 2003

>> > 	* The "save state chunk" call seems cool, but what's
>> > 	  the point, really?
>>
>> This could be useful for state storing in hosts, but how many would
>> use it? I'd certainly be reluctant to implemnt it.
>
>Right... I'm not even sure what state we're talking about here, but I
>*assume* it's basically all you need to continue playing from where
>you saved the state. Freezing reverb tails and stuff? Sounds fun but
>pretty useless... Might help some very special apps - but then, will
>it be sufficient?

If you want to restart playback at an arbitrary point and be sample-accurate, you must have this, right?  I think it's a good idea (I suggested it myself a while back).  The host can cache these at regular intervals (and at the user's locate points) so you can start playback and the host only has to preroll from the most recent state chunk.  Implementation is easy if you design for it... just stream all your internal variables into a  buffer.

-Ben