[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Feb 3 20:35:00 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 01.51, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Not the same thing. I think offline processing allows seek,
> >> reverse etc.
> >
> >I'm not convinced..
>
> it allows more than that. it means "you are no longer subject to RT
> constraints." this is a binary decision, not subject to
> gradation. once RT constraints are gone, you are free to do
> whatever you want. quality levels are orthogonal to this.

One thing you're *not* free to do on non-RT mode is assume that the
DSP code will be running with anything like regular timing, with any
sort of relation to the nominal sample rate.

That is, don't start a worker thread... (Unless you're doing it to
make use of any extra CPUs. Then you should be using blocking IPC or
something, to ensure that the worker isn't left behind by the DSP.)