[linux-audio-dev] newest audio server for Linux (yep, yet another)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Feb 4 09:07:01 UTC 2003

>Despite that I strongly think that an audio server that not permit in
>native way the traditional approach (what you call blocking approach)
>will never achieve the driving role we'd need.

if linux developers continue to work with this traditional model, then
yes, i think you are right and its a deep problem.

but i see a brighter future because i think that slowly more and more
developers will choose to adopt the same models they would be required
to use on windows or macos. this will happen, even if its just because
the developers will be coming from windows/macos :)

besides, i think that the take-home message from so many of the
discussions about audio servers is that there is no truly universal
solution. what's needed are acceptable ways to move data between
"worlds". the "world" (the non-MOTU) MAS represents is very different
from the one JACK represents, but its quite possible to build a
gateway between them. this does perpetuate the different programming
models, but i think we just have to accept this. mac os x is the only
system to have gotten this right so far, and i see no way we can do
what they've done because nobody has enough control to impose a single
solution.

i suspect that even if someone stepped forward with a full linux
implementation of the AU/CoreAudio API, there would be just as much
resistance to it as there is to any other proposed "universal"
solution. developers for mac os x don't have the choice. alas, we do.

--p