[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 05:58:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:12:55 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >However, namespaces don't really solve this; they just give it a
> >different syntax and some type checking. The latter is nice, of
> >course, but writing SomeNamespace::SomeSymbol instead of
> >SomeNamespace_SomeSymbol... well, what's the point, really?
>
> because ...
>
> 	using namespace SomeNameSpace;
>
> 	SomeSymbol x;
>
> nice. very nice. doubly triply nice.

Aren't we talking about dloaded shared object here? In ELF that doesn't
mean that all the symbols in the plugin will end up in the host, and I'm
pretty sure it doesn't in COFF either.

Its only the global, exported symbols that have to be namespaced (modulo
host buys, not naming any names ;).

Making it open to all C ABI objects means that you can write the plugin is
many more languages.

- Steve