LCP beyond LADSPA? was Re: [linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Feb 5 11:48:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:49:11AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> you might be suprised to know that i agree with you :) thats partly
> why i wrote LCP (the LADSPA Control Protocol), and am adding support
> for it to Ardour as we speak. it doesn't avoid the IPC you fear
> between the GUI and the DSP code, but it does allow plugin authors to
> create GUIs using whatever tools they want to.

Quick (?) LCP question:
how closely is it tied to LADSPA?
Does it only support LADSPA float ports? (I guess it would.)

I downloaded the tarball, but there's no docs and few comments
so I can only guess how it's intended to work... looks like
there's a central LCP server that clients interact with?

I still have a (mad?) dream of writing softsynths this way:

* synth DSP is written as SAOL, compiled to a JACK client using
sfront.  This works already. :)

* synth GUI is a separate process, probably Python, haven't
settled on a toolkit yet (maybe PyGame).

* GUI <-> DSP communication: no idea.
I'm wondering if LCP would be at all useful for this. I'd have to write
an LCP "driver" for Sfront. Fortunately, sfront makes it pretty easy
to write new Audio and Control "drivers".  Witness the fact that
even a dummy-level C programmer like myself can write a mostly-working
JACK "driver".

The fallback plan is to use MIDI over the ALSA sequencer, but
I really don't want to have to do that!

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com