[linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 05:48:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:27:39 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Again, I think we are speaking of slightly different things.  I am talking
> >about the time when (for example) the synth at the head of the chain has
> >stopped playing notes.  A reverb with this as it's input would be told 'your
> >input is now silent'.  It has a tail, of course.  It can be marked silent
> >when it's tail is done.  Once it is silent, it does not need to be
> >processed._
>
> this sounds very dangerous to me.
>
> your description sounds OK. but ... my kawai k5000 is an additive
> synth with a moderately interesting FX bank. its still producing sound
> for most patches long after all of its "voices" are off. if someone
> were to write a plugin modelled on this kind of design, you can't
> really know when the top of the chain is silent.

I agree, and more than that its not a usful optimisation (in RT
processing), I dont htink the offline case is important enough to warrent
this level of complexit and debugging nightmare.

If you can point me to a working (not pure research) implemntation I will
consider that it might not be total insanity ;)

- Steve