[linux-audio-dev] (OT) C++ flame war

Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] laurent at ohmforce.com
Thu Feb 6 07:14:01 UTC 2003

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>    1) C++ is not the only solution.
>    2) OO can be done in Standard C.
>    3) Some people (me included) might prefer doing OO programing in C
>       rather than C++.

I agree, but partially. My opinion about OO in C vs C++ :

I think C++ adds (very useful) functionalities to C. You
can still emulate them, but it's often a pain and less
"encapsulated" than equivalent C++ concept. More, goals
of language constructions are more obvious if written
in native C++, making easier communication between
developers. C++ is just more suitable for OO developement.
Who does seriously want to write a book with a typewriter
when one can use a word processor ?

C++ is not safer or faster than C or whatever. If you want
to make something stupid, nothing prevents you to do it.
I agree C++ is still far from perfect, but for me it's today
the best solution for audio development. It needs strong
coding rules, deep comprehension of the language, software
engineering knowledge and experience to be used efficiently.
It won't make miracles just because it's C++. Learning and
applying all these concepts won't happen "in 21 days", for
sure.

Finally I'd say it makes gain time when mastered, a lot of
time, one of the most valuable ressource in today's world
IMHO.

-- Laurent