[linux-audio-dev] (OT) C++ flame war

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Feb 6 11:26:01 UTC 2003

Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> No, it requires a pure virtual class per distinct interface (abstract
> class). And I don't see why this would not scale.

The sort of structure you're talking about is much like the way
interfaces work in Java.  (Or of course in something like COM,
though that probably isn't much of a selling point.)  I'm inclined
to think most C++ programmers would benefit from a few months
writing Java.  They might not like it (I don't especially) but
it does make certain sorts of object-oriented thinking quite a
bit clearer than C++, as well as giving you a new enjoyment for
the things C++ does better, like typesafe generic containers.

Of course the same probably goes for any OO language that's a bit
more "pure" than C++ but Java has the advantage that it's commonly
used (everywhere except on Linux anyway) and fairly big systems
written in it are widespread.

Perhaps it's time for the Java flame war.  It's slow -- or is it
fast, scalable and supremely optimizable?   It's over-literal and
tedious to write -- or is it friendly and natural?  Its containers
are unsafe and hard to use -- or are they consistent and clearly
designed?  Not that I can see anyone really advocating audio
processing code in it.  OR CAN I??

Chris