[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Sat Feb 8 01:04:00 UTC 2003

> > Flip on the LEARN control, do your stuff.  When you flip off the
> > LEARN control a raw-data output is updated.  We don't even need to
> > use a hint for LEARN - it is totally plugin unique.
>
> Right. As long as there is suitable control datatypes, no additional
> support is needed, really. It works without explicit support.
>
> That said, it might be nice to allow plugins to somehow hint that an
> output generates data that you may write back to a specified input of
> the same type. This would allow hosts to be smart about this, rather
> than just showing these controls as normal, totally unrelated inputs

Using an output control for this is actually wrong, on another thought.  You
would NEVER save a VOICE output control or anything else output with a
preset.  Output goes to some other place.

Just because we CAN get data out of an output control, doesn't make it
consistent with the semantics of an output control.

We'd need Yet Another Flag that says a control is an output that is meant
JUST for preset data.

Ick?