[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Sat Feb 8 01:52:01 UTC 2003

> > > Unless the author just intended to hint a useful range for a
> > > control that doesn't have obvious limits. There's no way to do
> > > that if ranges are hard.
> >
> > That _CAN_ be solved,
>
> How? All ideas are of interest... :-)

A seperate hint that ranges are just a suggestion.  In fact we're close to
this NOW.  I just bet that ALOT of plugins will use hardlimits at their
hinted ranges.

> > but I feel outnumbered in my position. ;)
> > I'll bet a pint that a lot of plugins will have internally clamped
> > hardlimits.
>
> Sure, but they don't have to be clamped to the hinted ranges.

Then let me restate - I bet that a LOT of plugins will hardlimit to their
controls ranges.  Soft-limits will be done by people who are used to not
having a limit, but if we succeed and get market capture, no one will
really use softlimits that often.  Just a hunch :)

Tim