[linux-audio-dev] XAP stuff still pending

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Feb 8 17:55:00 UTC 2003

On Saturday 08 February 2003 07.41, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > 2) Do we need a run_adding() form of run()?

[...first "yes" - then "*man*, this is messy!"...]

> I've never seen such a fast about-face! :)

*hehe* Well, it's because I keep seeing new parts of the picture. It's
easy when you think about simple FX plugins, but as plugins get
bigger and more complex, things become less obvious.

I'm not saying that run_adding() is useless, but rather that to be of
any use for anything but the simplest cases, it has to be done in a
different way from what we (I?) initally intended. A separate run()
call and a global output gain control won't be of much use in plugins
with lots of outputs.

> So it is still undecided, then.

I guess so... I think we should have some optional feature like this,
but I don't think a separate run_adding() will do much good. I used
to think it was only about small/fast plugins, but it's not. It's
about cycles/output.