[linux-audio-dev] XAP spec & PTAF comments [merge]

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Feb 9 05:22:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 09 February 2003 01.18, Steve Harris wrote:
[...silence and RT...]
> I suspect (but have no intention of finding out) that suddenly
> waking up a large subnet will have large chace effects too, so it
> wont be a case of just the CPU load varying.

I suspect that unless most of the memory used by each "mode" of the
net fits in the cache, the difference won't be all that big, since
every block cycle causes massive amounts of cache misses anyway.
Also, as soon as you have hand disk recording going on, you'll have a
butler thread throwing RT data out of the cache all the time. (Same
effect that has surprized some RTL and/or RTAI users by causing
*higher* latencies for the RT threads on faster CPUs.)