[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] JACK Rack 1.4.1

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 20 09:37:00 UTC 2003

>On Wednesday 19 February 2003 17.33, Paul Davis wrote:
>> >* midi thread will now try and use SCHED_FIFO.  If you run jackd
>> > with
>>
>> why?
>
>Probably to make MIDI control as deterministic as the audio
>processing. (Not much point in running a synth with small buffers and
>SCHED_FIFO otherwise.)

but this is for JACK Rack, not a MIDI sequencer. we're talking about
controlling things from a control surface. why does it need to be so
"deterministic" when its already inherently sloppy? nobody suggests
that the X server and the GUI thread should be SCHED_FIFO so that
mouse-based control is "deterministic" ...

--p