[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] JACK Rack 1.4.1

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Thu Feb 20 10:48:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:29, Paul Davis wrote:

> but this is for JACK Rack, not a MIDI sequencer. we're talking about
> controlling things from a control surface. why does it need to be so
> "deterministic" when its already inherently sloppy? nobody suggests
> that the X server and the GUI thread should be SCHED_FIFO so that
> mouse-based control is "deterministic" ...

Not sure what this determinism is about, but the UI thread doesn't seem
to suffer the same effects of non-SCHED_FIFO-ness that the midi thread
does; that's why the midi thread has SCHED_FIFO.  I'm not sure *why* the
midi thread suffers; both the midi thread and ui thread operate in
pretty much exactly the same way.  The only difference is the alsa
sequencer is involved; perhaps it's something to do with that.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>