[linux-audio-dev] crusoe ll problems

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 21 03:35:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 17:59, jfm3 wrote:
> I'm trying to run a low latency kernel and audio applications on a
> crusoe processor laptop.
>
> Yes, I'm crazy.
>
> I have patched a 2.4.20 kernel with the low latency, preemption, and
> variable hz patches, as well as a modification to the alim15x3 DMA code
> and an extra entry in the "unusual USB devices" list. I'm running recent
> CVS checkouts of ALSA from Planet CCRMA.
>
> The kernel works well, and the low latency patches really make the
> system more responsive even under load. However, when I run
> latencytest0.42/do_test blah blah, the system hangs while playing the
> sound. It does not even display the xperf window. After a very long
> time, Control-C stops the process.
>
> When I run jack -R (jack 0.55) and freqtweak, freqtweak claims it gets
> "shut down" by jack the first time I try to start it. The second time I
> try to start it, it connects to jack and plays for a few seconds, but
> then audio stops and the system hangs. I need to use sysrq or a power
> cycle to restart.
>
> I can send pretty good beer, the alim15x3 patch, and any other clues to
> anyone who can help me with this.
>
> --
> (jfm3  2838 BCBA 93BA 3058 ED95  A42C 37DB 66D1 B43C 9FD0)

Have you gotten things to work without the patches?

Something I have found really useful in these situations is to setup
another machine as a serial console, can't remember if you use a NULL
modem cable or not), (read Documentation/serial-console.txt in the
kernel source). You will then be able to get kernel output messages even
after all user space programs have died. You will most likely get an
oops output and can then save this to a file on the other machine,
reboot your crusoe and run the oops output through ksymoops. Hope that
helps. BTW, what kind of beer? :) Cheers.
	Josh Green