[linux-audio-dev] Linux Alsa Audio over 1394 - a Thesis

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 26 07:15:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:38:38 +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> Still there is no guarantee that 10 packets always have exactly the same
> number of samples. You say the mLAN spec says you need a buffer of
> around ~250us. Note that is doesn't say a buffer of a number of frames.
> The bottom line is these packets are sent at regular time intervals, not
> at a fixed number of frames and thus JACK should support this by
> allowing non-const (frames) callbacks IMHO.

Why? Surely its much easier to wait until you have n samples and then send
them round. The extra 250us of latency is hardly punishing.

You must do that where you have a soundcard<->mLAN bridge in any case, in
order to sync the graphs.

IMHO if jack makes things hard for app developers by forcing them to deal
with odd sized data blocks then its not doing its job. As we have
discussed on the jack list there are a number of situations where you cant
reliably or efficiently handle variable block sizes.

- Steve