[linux-audio-dev] LAD meeting - LinuxSoundNight

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 26 14:45:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

Frank Neumann schrieb:
> _IF_ :-) we do some kind of live music, I hope we'll also manage to
> record it somehow, and encode/provide that later. I'm _very_ curious
> right now, though, what kind of music will evolve out of this :-).

I think, it would be so much fun to record something. I has been years
since I have played with other 'musicians' (yes, that's true) I stopped
playing in bands, when I was a big follower of 'Grunge' music. The older
ones here will remember that term. I saw Nirvana before you saw Nirvana ;)

The band that is.

I'll tell you why I stopped then.

As a saxophone player it was hard to get into a hardcore band. Then I
decided: "Frank, what you're missing is distortion and wahwah." I went into
a guitar shop where I bought distortion and wahwah, you know, those little
boxes you can step hard on. I had met two cool guys, a drummer and a
bassist, who were doing an instrumental Space-Rock-Dub-Speed-Metal kind of
music like I was quite into those days. A bit like Blind Idiot God, if
someone still knows this strange american trio.

Those friends of mine even had a room to rehearse. It had high humidity,
but otherwise was quite ok. But they didn't have a guitarist that's why I
saw my big chance coming. Yes, I was gonna be famous. I had distortion and
wahwah. Okay, I had short hair, they had hair to the *ss, but we didn't
care.

So one day, I went to rehearse with them. It was very unformal like "let's
jam a bit, have some fun." So I put on my saxophone, plugged the mike into
the distortion, the distortion into the wahwah or I plugged them the other
way around, don't remember.

Then I blew my heart out.

But there was not distrotion, and there was no wahwah. In fact, there
wasn't even a saxophone, there only was feedback, uncontrollable feedback.
I couldn't really play anything: either I couldn't be heard at all or I
could only produce scccrrreeeettchheeeescreetch.

A year later, those guys made a record, but I don't remember its name. And
I started to get into computers.

Regards,
--
Frank Barknecht